Monday, August 18
Yesterday, enjoying a day by myself on my beloved mountain bike, I rode through the rows of vineyards far and wide.
First stop: Monfumo vineyard.
Grasses continue to grow due to the humid soil. The grapes are swollen, more so than I’ve ever seen them. Swollen but healthy.
The youngest, freshest leaves are not totally burned as in other vineyards. This will help us to achieve higher alcohol levels and to allow the bunches to ripen fully.
I shouldn’t get carried away but I have high hopes for this vineyard.
Seconda tappa: la vigna di Cornuda.
This vineyard is characterized by its uneven development. The less vigorous vines have splendid grapes. The grapes are smaller on more vigorous vines where there is stagnant water.
This vineyard was struck by a hailstorm about a month and a half ago. The bunches on the west side have a few bruised berries. If the weather continues to be dry and cool (as it has been for the last few days), everything should work out fine. The ruined berries will dry out and they shouldn’t cause any problems during harvest.
The hail “blocked” the growth of vegetation here for roughly 10 days. And so the harvest will be delayed as well.
As you can see in the photo, the leaves have been attacked by peronospora. And because of this, we’ll delay the harvest in order to allow the grapes to ripen fully and to achieve the sugar levels that we want.
Third stop: Maser vineyard.
Things are fine here. I’d even go as far as to say that the situation is the same as in the Monfumo vineyard.
As far as the Caerano vineyard is concerned, I’d rather not talk about it. This vineyard has been so badly affected by esca that we are considering replanting part of it. The grapes have been bruised three times by hail. The leaves have been burned by peronospora. And the grapes are ready to burst.
As in recent years, we won’t use grapes from this vineyard to produce our wines.
In a vintage like this one, it’s not easy to make predictions. We still need to see what the weather does. Three or four days or intense rain could change everything.
Cool, sunny days, on the other hand, would be a great relief for us grape growers.
These fall-like temperatures help to preserve aromas and acidity. This morning, August 18, the temperature was 16° C.
We’re waiting to sample the grapes and analyze them in the lab. Gauging from the taste, it seems that the harvest is still a ways off, especially in Monfumo where the “rabid” grapes have off-the-charts acidity.
I’ll post an update as soon as we’ve analyzed some berries.
grape grower, winemaker